The directions were
easy to follow and explained each step with the clarity necessary
for beginners. (However, this is a time consuming project, so
beginners be warned!) It was very rewarding to make, and I feel that
this pattern, if followed correctly, results in a professional
(rather than home-sewn) look. It can be dressed up or down, using
nylon sports fabric to make a raincoat; sateen, woolen blends, and
poplin for a chic touch; and flannel for a preppy, fireside feel.
Do not alter the
pattern for petite sizing, unless you plan on buying a smaller
zipper! I took in the patterns at the lines marked for petite only
one inch, which, when aligned at the end with the zipper, left
almost less than a half of inch to make a hem. Unfortunately, I had
to do a rolled hem, which is a technique used for light-weight
chiffons and silks and looks rather silly on a jacket. This was
very disappointing, considering the directions and envelope did not
warn sewers of this problem.
The directions have
sewers use twill tape for the drawstrings, but purchasing 1/2 yard
extra of fabric and making a trifold out of 1 1/2” strips looks much
more professional. Finally, I really wished the jacket were lined.
Lining would make sense on an anorak, a design which was originally
made for explores in cold regions.
I used a
khaki-colored, cotton-blend poplin with a brown and golden
separating zipper and buttons with a carved leaf design to make view
E. Overall, I was very happy with the results, and the reactions of
family, friends, and strangers. My favorite: my sister said it
looked like something Burberry would make.
If you’ve made this project and would like to share your work, send
us pictures! We will be happy to post them here. Also, if you have
anything else to add in regards to the critique of this pattern, we
would love to hear. For both pictures and comments,
Thanks for reading.