|Day Two: Today was the
"official day" of starting this awesome challenge. The three of us spent
several hours pinning, cutting, and measuring, and then some more pinning,
cutting, and measuring.
|While Lainey and Jessica came
up with a plan of making an under skirt into a square shaped frame
for the actress to wear to look like a piano (see below) , I pinned
and cut out the bodice and began piecing it together. Since we are
not sure if we are going to be able to make this into a full gown,
we extended the bottom about 2" just incase we may have to have this
as a top and "tuck it in" the skirt. This is not what we want. We do
want to make this into a full gown, but with adding the wood under
skirt, we may not be able to. Only time will tell.
I did the easy part of constructing the
bodice by using patterns, Jessica and Lainey had the difficult task of
measuring, cutting wood, cutting fabric, sewing wood into fabric, and
creating the under skirt to look like two boxes on each hip. Here's their
plan and what they worked on:
||Yes, we cut our own wood!
||They took a Burda pattern, 18th
century period Marie Antoinette Style type of gown and adjusted the
underskirt that was round, to form a square that would be placed on
the hips of the actress.
||Once measurements were made,
casings were pressed and sewn in strips to hold the wood.
||Lainey sewing all the rows of
casings for the wood to go in.
||Almost done one side! We can't
wait to get this under skirt together.
Lainey was given lots of work to do at home
for the next two days. She has to put darts in the sleeves and sew the
side seams of each sleeve, cut out all the skirt pieces of the gown out,
and stuff the box they created. We are meeting up again on Monday, ...